Sunday, March 9, 2008

Naturalist

I am now officially a member of the Madras Naturalists' Society (www.blackbuck.org.in). Joined up at the MNS' monthly meeting (2nd Sunday of every month) under the banyan at The School, KFI. I have missed two big events this year - the Chennai Bird Race and the 'deer counting' at the Guindy National Park. But no matter, there will be more races and countings to be done.

Add on to my bird list for the year: a Crow Pheasant and two pairs of Hoopoes. Also confirmed to myself that what I had seen at home earlier was indeed a Treepie.

4 comments:

Anush said...

u saw these birds in chennai? man, all i see are crows and sparrows... [:)]

Shantaram said...

You saw a sparrow? Sparrows, you say? You're the lucky one! Haven't seen one for years. It's not just Chennai, check out this recent article from Outlook:

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?sid=1&fodname=20080512&fname=Sparrow+(F)

Of course, we still have 'Kuruvi';)

Anush said...

ha ha ha.

but no, seriously, sparrows are abundant no? i dont kno whcih misguided moron wrote tat article.

(i just hope it aint u) [:P]

Shantaram said...

Well, sparrows WERE abundant. My reaction 4 years ago was much the same as yours - "Sparrows, endangered? Daft, man!".

Sadly, I haven't seen any sparrows in Chennai since then. :(